- DO NOT move the victim unless in immediate danger. DO NOT move the injured body parts or try to reset the bone.
- Control bleeding (see Bleeding and Wounds).
- Cover any protruding bone with a clean, moist dressing.
- Take steps to prevent shock.
- Send someone to call 911 or seek medical aid as soon as possible.
If the victim must be moved without professional medical assistance, immobilize the injured area with a piece of wood or folded towel or blanket tied securely above and below the injury.