A broad and comprehensive training program guarantees that the trainee will acquire the clinical, technical and administrative skills to function as a high-quality clinical nephrologist. We take great pride in our program and are proud of our recent graduates, all of whom are board certified in nephrology and have joined respected nephrology groups serving patients throughout the country.
Each year the training program consists of a total of 5 trainees: 3 first year and 2 second year on a rotating basis.
Blocks consist of four weeks
- 6 blocks inpatient consultative services;
- 5 blocks ambulatory service and clinical research;
- 1 block transplant
- 1 block vacation
- 5 blocks inpatient consultative service;
- 1 block inpatient transplant at NYP-Rogosin;
- 6 blocks ambulatory service/clinical research;
- 1 block vacation
NYHQ inpatient consultative service is divided into separate rotations
Upper consultative service includes:
- Care of private and clinic nephrology patients and new nephrology consultations on the designated renal floor and in the medical, surgical and coronary care units.
- Supervision and education of the medical residents caring for patients on the renal floor and for the medical resident rotating on the elective.
- Responsibilty for the upper service patients treated in the inpatient dialysis unit.
Lower consultative service One:
- Care of private and clinic nephrology patients and consultations on the general surgical services, Cardiovascular Recovery Unit, Emergency Room, and ETAT.
- Supervision and education of the medical resident rotating on the nephrology elective.
- Responsibilty for the hospitalized patients on the lower service treated in the inpatient dialysis unit.
Lower consultative service Two:
- Care of private and clinic patients and consultations on the general medical floors.
- Responsibility for the hospitalized patients on the lower service treated in the inpatient dialysis unit.
- Responsibility for the care of ambulatory patients treated in the hospital dialysis unit.
Ambulatory Service includes:
- Caring for dialysis patient in the Trude Weishaupt Dialysis Center.
- Attending renal clinics for peritoneal dialysis patients.
- Attending lithotripsy sessions at NYHQ under the guidance and education of Urology.
- Clinical research time.
- Attending Geriatric Rounds at Silvercrest Nursing Home.
All fellows attend renal and HTN clinic and faculty practice transplant hours throughout all rotations.
All fellows attend 3 scheduled renal conferences per week.
All fellows attend two or three local, regional or national Nephrology conferences per year.