Click here for Rescue Breathing for Infants and Small Children
- Send someone to call 911 or an ambulance.
- Carefully position victim on his/her back.
- Gently tilt the victim's head back by gently pressing the forehead and lifting the jaw in order to open the airway (A). Keep the victim's mouth open.
- Maintain open airway and check breathing for 5 seconds as described in "Checking Breathing." If victim is breathing, maintain the airway and check for other injuries.
- If not breathing, pinch the victim's nose shut, place your mouth over the victim's open mouth (B) and give two, slow breaths. If there s no rise in the chest, check for choking as described in Choking.
- Pause between each breath so that you can take a breath.
- Maintain the airway and check for pulse for 5 to 10 seconds as described in "Checking for Pulse." If no pulse, go to CPR.
- Continue rescue breathing cycle of one slow breath every 5 seconds for about one minute.
- After one minute, stop and check pulse for 5 seconds and breathing for 5 seconds.
- If the victim is still not breathing, continue giving rescue breaths until professional help arrives or until breathing resumes.