Natural rubber latex, a milky fluid found in rubber trees, has a contaminating protein in the rubber that causes allergic reactions, not with the rubber itself. Different types of gloves, condoms, balloons, rubber bands, erasers, and toys are made from natural rubber latex. Children and adults have developed an allergy or sensitivity to latex. Reactions can be seen when products made from latex come in contact with the person's skin, mucous membranes (like the mouth, genitals, bladder or rectum), or the bloodstream (during surgery). Some people may react when blowing up a rubber balloon or breathing in powder from the inside of latex gloves.
When the person has contact with products that contain latex you may see watery or itchy eyes, wheezing, hives, flushing or a skin rash, itching, or swelling. In some cases, severe reactions (anaphylactic shock) can occur in which the person may have problems breathing, experience chest tightness, or have swelling of his or her throat or tongue. Severe reactions require prompt emergency treatment.
Some people are more likely to become latex sensitive. These are people who have frequent exposure to latex from medical procedures. This group includes:
People who have allergies to certain foods may also have a latex allergy. Both the foods and the latex may have some of the same proteins. Commonly eaten foods which contain some of the same proteins as latex include: bananas, avocados, chestnuts, kiwi, passion fruit, papaya, figs, peaches, nectarines, plums, tomatoes, and celery.
Many items at home and in the hospital are made from latex. These include:
|Home and community||Hospital|
|Balloons (excluding mylar)
Koosh balls, rubber balls
Pacifiers, bottle nipples
Beach toys, art supplies
Rubber bands, Band-Aids
|Surgical and exam gloves
IV tubing injection sites
Blood pressure cuffs
... and many more items
Any item that is light brown in color and can be stretched may contain latex. There are items that can be used in place of the items that contain latex. They are made from vinyl, plastic, or silicone.
Please note: Avoiding latex products may decrease the chance of developing this allergy for your child.
Click here to view the
Online Resources of Allergy & Asthma