Home > Content Library of Ped English Medical Content > Burns

When to Call Your Child's Physician

It is important to contact your child's physician in the following situations:

  • If your child is not eating or drinking well
  • If there is antisocial or disruptive behavior at home or school
  • If there are signs of infection (healing burn areas change and become red, warm, swollen, extremely tender, and have a foul odor)
  • If there is uncontrollable itching
  • If the scar cracks open or splits
  • If a contracture occurs
  • If your child's temperature is greater than 101.5 F rectally or by mouth
  • If it appears that the dressing changes are painful for your child (you may want to discuss pain medication with your physician)

Click here to view the
Online Resources of Burns

Site Map | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Privacy Policy | Term of Use
For a medical emergency, please call 911 and go to the nearest emergency room.
Copyright © NewYork-Presbyterian/Queens
56-45 Main Street, Flushing, NY 11355