Stroke - Statistics of Stroke
Consider the following statistics regarding strokes:
- Stroke is the fourth largest cause of death, ranking behind diseases of the heart, all forms of cancer, and lower respiratory disease.
- Almost every 40 seconds in the United States, a person experiences a stroke.
- Over four million US adults live today with the effects of a stroke.
- The American Stroke Association, a division of the American Heart Association, estimates strokes cost the US $73.7 billion in 2010.
- Women account for about six in 10 stroke deaths.
- Black males have almost twice the risk of a first-ever stroke compared with white males.
- Hispanics have an increased risk of stroke compared with non-Hispanic whites.
- Each year about 795,000 people suffer a new or recurrent stroke in the US.
- Stroke accounts for about one out of every 18 deaths in the US.
Click here to view the
Online Resources of Heart Center